What is Functional Nutrition?
A leading-edge, evidence-based approach to health that focuses on identifying root causes and system imbalances to significantly improve patient health outcomes.
Sound complicated? Let’s simplify it.
A functional nutritionist looks at the whole person to discover the underlying root causes of symptoms. A functional nutritionist emphasizes real food, nutrient density AND food quality, as well as how that food promotes health. The role of a functional nutritionist is to focus on building health while helping to restore the body’s proper function and balance.
“Just how can a functional nutritionist help me?”
That question holds so much frustration and pain. Maybe you’re suffering from exhaustion, brain fog, blood sugar issues, chronic digestive issues, food sensitivities, or hormone imbalance. Yet despite all the doctors, despite all the miracle products and empty promises of super cures, you have not found relief. After all this time you’re on information overload and don’t know who you can trust. How can you know what information is true and what’s just snake oil? And more importantly, who can you trust to translate the information into sizeable bites that truly apply to your situation?
Here’s the good news! Your search has led you to me, Marla Evans, founder of Reclaimed Health. My story may be similar to yours.
What started in my late 20s as muscle tightness became, by my mid-30s, extreme fatigue and a host of other health concerns. At my worst I could barely even shower in the morning. I knew that I needed to take major steps to reclaim my health, but didn’t know where to turn. All the doctors did was prescribe medications that simply made my symptoms worse and all those “super juices” and supplements did nothing for me.
A misdiagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis, with all the accompanying medications, propelled me into the world of natural health. I intuitively knew there was a way to control my symptoms with food and lifestyle changes.
As I began this journey, I investigated everything from Paleo to Weston A. Price to Raw Vegan. My research taught me how to clean up my diet and I started feeling better! I switched to non-toxic cosmetics, personal care products, cleaners and laundry detergents. I continued to improve.
And through this whole process, I also found that I had developed an abiding passion for teaching others and helping them find change.
I lost over 15 years of life to my poor health – I don’t want you to do the same.
I continued deepening my knowledge of the interaction between body and food by attending the Nutrition Therapy Institute and obtained my Master Nutrition Therapist designation.
I haven’t limited myself to Google searches and guesses. I have invested in working with experts, professionals, and attending in-depth educational programs so that I can bring you the best practices and most current knowledge in the field.
As a result of my training and my journey, I am able to guide you out of information overload, help you find answers, and help you develop an action plan geared to your individual needs.
How Can a Functional Nutritionist Help Me?
Let’s take a look at a few symptoms you may be experiencing and how, through Functional Nutrition, I can help.
Symptom #1: Fatigue/Low Energy
Fatigue has many causes:
- Stress or lifestyle choices
- Dietary issues such as food sensitivities or nutrient deficiencies
- Blood sugar imbalance
- Hormone imbalances
- Toxin overload
- Or all of the above!
I take the time to do a thorough health history, lifestyle evaluation and diet analysis. This allows us to unravel the complexity of your fatigue so you can reclaim the energized body you were meant to enjoy!
Fatigue & Brain Fog got you down?
Register for the Total Energy Upgrade!
SYMPTOM #2: Digestive Problems – gas, bloating, GERD, reflux, heartburn, IBS, Celiac
- Leaky gut is associated with all these digestive issues
- A well-functioning digestive system is the cornerstone of good health
- The “gut” is actually called our second brain; the intestinal nervous system is wired directly back to the brain
- Poor gut function can lead to autoimmune conditions such as MS, RA, Celiac, Hashimoto’s, and other autoimmune diseases.
- Skin issues such as eczema and psoriasis are also directly connected to the gut
- Seasonal allergies are connected to gut health
- Diet and toxins can cause a disruption in the neurotransmissions causing your health to suffer
- Medical and nutritional experts agree that good nutrition is directly related to good digestive health
If you are concerned about your digestive health or are suffering from poor digestion, my gut repair program may be your answer! While my philosophy is to focus on food as medicine, there are times when the body needs more help and supplements are necessary. My gut repair program includes diet and lifestyle modifications along with a supplement routine proven to repair the gut.
SYMPTOM #3: Food Sensitivities and Intolerances
- Food intolerances can contribute to neurological, autoimmune and digestive disorders as well as pain and inflammation
- Food intolerances are directly related leaky gut
- A food intolerance can often arise after the digestive tract has been compromised due to poor diet, stress, or imbalanced gut bacteria
Food sensitivities are not the same as food allergies. Food allergies are potentially deadly while sensitivities are not. However, food sensitivities are still serious. They indicate a poorly functioning gut and create inflammation in the body. Inflammation damages tissues leading to symptoms such as muscle or joint pain, headaches, stuffy nose, and brain fog or trouble concentrating.
Identifying food sensitivities and intolerances can be tricky. I can perform lab tests and/or design an elimination diet to identify the foods your body is reacting to. We then work on healing the gut to eliminate food sensitivities.
SYMPTOM #4: Hormones! Not Just for Women! – Minimize Symptoms during Peri-menopause or Andropause (male menopause)
- Hormones are critical to the function of virtually every system in the body
- Our hormones are intricately connected. When one is too high it causes another to be too low
- Hormones are balanced through a combination of diet and lifestyle adjustments
A person who is experiencing “brain fog”, slow metabolism, moodiness, willpower or motivation issues can find a solution! I can run lab tests to determine hormone imbalances then get to work identifying the root cause – whether it be blood sugar, the adrenal glands, or the GI tract – and design a diet and lifestyle program that works for your body.
Want help navigating the crazy world of hormones?
Schedule an appointment with me
SYMPTOM #5: Nutrient Deficiencies
- The immune system is dependent upon a variety of nutrients
- Infection and lack of nutrients are often linked together
- Certain foods may help reduce the risk of certain diseases
Nutrient deficiencies prevent the body from functioning at its best and can lead to a host of health issues. Nutrient deficiencies can even turn on genes that predispose us to disease. Through lab tests and diet analysis I can identify nutrient deficiencies, determine the cause of the deficiencies (poor diet, poor digestion, stress, etc.), and design a diet and lifestyle plan to replace the missing nutrients.
SYMPTOM # 6: Medication, Medication, Medication, but I still have the Same Problem.
- Medications treat symptoms and temporarily make us feel better
- Medications DO NOT treat the underlying problem so the symptoms keep getting worse
- High blood pressure, type II diabetes, high cholesterol, thyroid issues, and more, are all symptoms of larger underlying issues
If you’re tired of all the meds and want to reduce or eliminate them, I can work with you and your doctor to design a diet and lifestyle plan to reach your goal. Only your doctor can alter your medications, but I can help restore your body’s balance which in turn improves function and reduces the need for medications
If you are one of the fortunate few and none of the above symptoms apply to you, Congratulations! But you still want to eat healthy, learn more about the value of certain nutrients, and shop smarter. Again, you are overwhelmed by the amount of information available and have little or no idea where to start. The answer is right here!
FOOD PREP AND NAVIGATING THE GROCERY STORE
- Select recipes with key nutrients and proven results
- Shop with a trained expert – learn to read labels, determine “low fat” from “good fat”, and the importance of quality food
- Prepare meals in your own kitchen and learn new prep and storage methods
Reclaiming your Health is all about becoming informed and making good choices. In the constantly changing sea of information, I can provide information that is specific to your needs, apply that information in a manner that will treat your whole person, and help you make choices that will lead to long-term GREAT health.
1990 l\/l0Collum Award Lecture. Nutrition and immunity: lessons from the past and new insights into the future